Authors Authors and affiliations R. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves. This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access. CrossRef Google Scholar. Google Scholar. See, for example, Russell A. Thomas Paine, Rights of Man , ed.
NEW HISTORIES OF EMOTION - Lang - - History and Theory - Wiley Online Library
Henry Collins Harmondsworth: Penguin Books, , Quotations from A. Quotations from G. Jennifer C.
Vaught, ed. Michael C. Farnham: Ashgate Publishing, Ltd, , passim.
1. ‘A’ is for Affeccioun: Strategies for Teaching the History of Emotions in Medieval Studies
But it was a response to very real conspiracies by the defenders of the old order; to forget that is to abandon any hope of making sense of the period. But Reddy has little time for any attempt to articulate emotion with class.
- Warning and Response to the Mount St. Helens Eruption.
- Similar books and articles?
- William M. Reddy.
- A companion to Roman Britain.
- Beyond Orientalism - The Work of Wilhelm Halbfass and its Impact on Indian and Cross-Cultural Studies.
- Stochastic Climate Models?
- Time Alive: Celebrate Your Life Every Day!
Cobb, a former Stalinist fellow-traveller who jumped ship, produced important studies of the revolutionary armies, and was unlikely to have been as cavalier as Reddy in abandoning any use of the concept of class. In fact, Reddy seems very ill at ease with the discussion of class. While it may be true that lower aristocrats rubbed shoulders with debt-burdened writers, it is most unlikely that any poor peasants or water-carriers turned up to read out their sonnets.
The treatment of the post-Revolutionary period is even thinner.
Reddy retails some half-truths about Romanticism, obscuring rather than illuminating the question of its similarities to and differences from the sentimentalism of the previous century. Neither rates a mention from Reddy. Finally, Reddy — now obviously up against a deadline — gives a cursory analysis of some legal disputes from the s, to show that his history is not merely literary.
Here he shows that cases where individual motivation was at stake were conducted in more emotional terms than those which turned on technical points of law. Surprise, surprise! Perhaps this is unfair. There is the germ of an important idea in this book.
- The Impact of eConveyancing on Title Registration: A Risk Assessment.
- The End of Paganism in the North-Western Provinces of the Roman Empire: The example of the Mithras cult (British Archaeological Reports (BAR) International).
- Account Options.
- California Science: Activity Lab Book: Teacher’s Guide: Grade 2?
- Programming Languages: Implementations, Logics, and Programs: 9th International Symposium, PLILP 97 Including a Special Track on Declarative Programming Languages in Education Southampton, UK, September 3–5, 1997 Proceedings.
- EMOTIONAL SYSTEMS.
- Anthropology and Global History: From Tribes to the Modern World-System;
In the old days, an academic would have gone away, pored over the source material for years, and eventually come up with a sober and well-considered assessment. In the modern university with its factory-like drive to productivity, this is unimaginable. Professors are paid to write, not to read, and certainly not to think. Reddy is not a charlatan, merely a victim.